Friday, July 20, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal:



~In my life this week…It's been a really nice week.  The weather has been hot but nice.  The garden is still doing well.  Beans are tapering off but the peppers and squash continue to produce.  My tomatoes that I planted super late and didn't think would make it are producing the sweetest plum sized tomatoes!  And we have four cantaloupes so far!  The pumpkin vines are out of control but who knows if we'll get any?
~In our home school this week…So far so good.  Will is a challenge but it got easier as the week progressed.  Now that his cuspids are through he should pick his morning nap back up and that will help a lot!
~Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…hmmmmm,make sure you have all your papers printed off for the week before hand.  Because if you wait to do it the morning of, your printer might, for some unknown reason, decide not to print.  ahem.
~I am inspired bythis interview.
~Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…Suzannah went into work with Billy this morning!!  They were having a raffle to raise money for The Walk to Cure Diabetes and she got to draw the name!  They raised almost $500!  She thought it was so awesome to get to go to work with Daddy!
~My favorite thing this week was…We made fossil traces out of salt dough.  It was very "fun home school mom".....not like me at all! hahaha! ;) The next day we painted them.  They turned out so pretty.
  •   
  • What’s working/not working for us…illustrating and narrating our history and science is working beautifully.  Lunch at a decent hour is not working!  I'm sure it's just b/c it's the first week (I hope!), but it's been at least 1:00 before I'm fixing lunch!! :s
  • Questions/thoughts I have…I need to make sure not to get so caught up in school reading that I don't make time for reading to Charlotte!!
  • Things I’m working on…having a more relaxed approach.  I know things are more successful and enjoyable when I don't watch the clock and just go with the flow....it's just so far from the way I like to do things, but I'm doing better all the time.
  • We're reading
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • I’m cooking…pizza for dinner, it's movie night!
  • I’m grateful for…Texas home school laws!  I'm so thankful that I'm able to teach my children however I think is best for them.
  • I’m praying for…patience and grace.  I want to deal with the craziness of any given day with patience and grace and just roll with it! 
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share
    “A true Christian must not be a slave to what’s currently ‘in-fashion,’ if he wants to train his child for heaven. He must not be content to teach them and instruct them in certain ways, merely because it is customary, or to allow them to read books of a questionable sort, merely because everybody else reads them, or to let them form bad habits, merely because they are the habits of the day. He must train with an eye to his children’s souls. He must not be ashamed to hear his training called odd and strange. What if it is? The time is short—the customs of this world are passing away. He that has trained his children for heaven, rather than for the earth—for God, rather than for man—he is the parent that will be called wise in the end.”
    ~ J.C. Ryle

12 comments:

Life with the Akin Clan said...

Loving your updates!

Patty @ Coming Up Roses said...

I like your sense of humor - I, like you, desire to add fun to our days, but everything gets into the way! I also had to start putting lunch on the daily schedule so it would happen - otherwise we were starving at 3! Enjoy your week!

Angela said...

I love it when I find a fellow Texan blog! I will have to do the salt dough project with my children, they would absollutely love that!

Mary said...

Great books! I love the salt dough fossils.

Jessi -in love with her family of four said...

I love this too!!1 I want you to tell me how you did these !!!Looks so fun!!

Cheri said...

I am in awe that you have 5 children, home school and still have time to blog, let alone everything else in your lives...wow!

TexasNeals said...

Thanks Aimee! I miss you!!

TexasNeals said...

Ha! Patty, how can we get so caught up in it that we forget to eat?!?!? I'm going to try scheduling lunch too and see if it helps ;)

TexasNeals said...

Angela, Im sure they would!!!!! :)

TexasNeals said...

Thanks, Mary. I ordered the sonlight history books. They are so good!!!!

TexasNeals said...

Girl, it was SO easy! I just used a Christmas ornament recipe I saw on pinterest ;)

TexasNeals said...

Don't be in awe of me, aunt Cheri! There is so much that I don't do! But I can barely remember last week so I'm trying to do better about making time to record our happenings or I'm afraid I'll forget this season completely!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails