Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Extraction

First of all, I want to thank everyone that left a sweet and encouraging comment on my post about my "epiphany."  Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and share that you can identify!!!  Isn't it amazing how helpful it is to know that you aren't alone!?!  So once more, thank you for your encouragement.

The day of Jack's "procedure" started very early.  My mom came over to watch the other children and we loaded Will and Jack into the truck b/f the sun even hinted at rising.  Jack was tired, but cooperative and thankful to get his teeth fixed.  I was a ball of nerves, but could feel God's peace. We got to the surgical care place and we watched cartoons till they called us back.  We walked through the doors and all of a sudden....it looked like a hospital.  There were doctors and nurses in scrubs, hospital beds, people on gurneys and curtains.  They took us to where they keep the children b/f surgery.  Again we watched cartoons.  They put stickers on his chest and listened to his heart.  They checked his blood pressure and had him put on a gown w/ panda bears on it.  He was doing good....watching cartoons.  He wasn't talking much and I wondered what he was thinking.  The anesthesiologist came in and started walking us through what was going to happen.  Up to this point Jack didn't have a clear idea of what was going to happen.  I just wasn't sure how much to tell him.  So the Dr. left and I explained things to Jack.  He continued to keep his eyes glued to the television barely even acknowledging that he could hear us talking to him.  I explained that they were going to take him to a special room w/ no germs where our dentist would fix his teeth and that we would be waiting for him.  I told him that he was going to be asleep and when he woke up we'd be there.  I told him that we needed him to cooperate w/ the doctor and smell the stinky gas.  Billy made a silly remark.  Something about stinky human gas.  Jack started laughing.  He was sitting in my lap.  His laughter turned into tears and he buried his face in my chest.  He DID realize what was going on, he was just dealing w/ it totally differently than Suzannah (our only point of reference).  He was scared, but he was trying so hard to be brave.

The nurse brought him the "goofy juice."  He does not like medicine.  Not even Tylenol, so I knew this wasn't going to be easy.  We couldn't talk him into drinking it so I pretty much poured it down his throat.  It took pretty well.  When they came to get him he said he wanted me to come w/ him.  I told him that I couldn't, but that I would be waiting for him.  He went like a big boy.  No tears.  For him anyway.

We waited for what seemed like forever.  Finally the dentist came out and said that everything had gone well.  She gave us his molar they had extracted w/ MONDO roots!!! A little later they said that one of us could come back.  Because I had Will, Billy went back.  Then I had to wait for what felt like an eternity!!!  I was the one that went back w/ Suzannah when she was 3 and had hernia surgery so I kind of knew what was going on in there.  I think it was good that Billy was back there.  FINALLY they came to get me.  Jack started crying when he saw me.  His lips were so swollen.  He was sleepy and sad and wanted to go home.  He had thrown up.

We loaded up in the car and he was ready to go.  I was so glad to have my baby back.  So glad that everything went well.  Thankful for a reminder that I'm not in control.  The drive home proved to be a bit bumpy and he tossed his cookies as we pulled in the drive way.  We got him cleaned up and in bed.  His sisters were so worried about him and so glad to see him.  They laid w/ him and hugged on him and kissed him and gave him cards they'd made and made him feel so special.  He got to look at the tooth they pulled and couldn't wait to show them!!!  They made him feel so good that he wanted to lay on the couch.  His tummy was still yucky and he was sleepy so my mom took the girls to her house.  I put Will down for a nap and Jack and I fell asleep.



When he woke up he was acting so much better.  I made some jello when we got home and he said that sounded good.  Then he ate some baked oatmeal and then some yogurt.  And then his tummy felt bad.  I knew I shouldn't have let him eat so much. :s

We had been promising Jack a new scooter since our yard sale.  He was feeling more like himself so Billy decided this was the perfect opportunity to take him and get one.  He was so excited to get a BOY scooter!!! No more Barbie for him!


He stayed up pretty late b/c of that long nap.  It was kind of nice to be up late w/ all my boys. ;)

I wish we hadn't had to do it....but it's done.  We may not be able to have Christmas this year, but we all survived it and my boy has never had a more beautiful smile!!!  ;)


Oh, and in case you're wondering what the tooth fairy's going rate is for a molar that was extracted by a dentist in the hospital ....it' a whopping $5.00!  The girls almost wanted to get theirs extracted....almost.

3 comments:

The Clevelands said...

Glad it's over for you and him!

Grams said...

He looks great. Know you are glad that is behind you (and Jack). Love you guys.

Marie said...

So glad it went well, and everyone is doing good! I know all to well the feeling of watching your child go back for surgery. Thankful that the peace of God was comforting you. I know he is zooming around on that scooter. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails