Monday, March 28, 2011

Already Thinking Ahead

UPDATED

This is about the time that most homeschoolers are getting curriculum choices for the next year together and the one's that are really on the ball are already ordering it (Aimee, ahem)!!  I am not ready to order our stuff, but I think I know what we'll be doing next year.  Here's what our year might look like:


4th Grade: Suzannah

Reading-living books.  I'm still working on a book list.
Writing-Institute for Excellent Writing
~I really think that writing is important and I've been looking at every writing curriculum I can find.  This is the one that looked the best.  I wish I knew someone that has used it to find out what they thought.  It looks really good to me.
Handwriting-A Reason for Writing D
~We have had success with this so far so we will be using it again.
Vocabulary-Wordly Wise 4
~We are "leaving" our reading curriculum that taught vocabulary so this looked like a good vocabulary curriculm to start.
Grammar-First Language Lessons4
~This will be our first year to do Grammar.  I wish we had started it last year.  I will start in third grade w/ Molly Beth and the others.  Oh well, now the question is, whether to start w/ year 4 or 3.  I don't want there to be lots of things year 4 is building on from year 3.  So we may end up w/ First Language Lesson 3 instead.  I need to look at it...hopefully at the book fair.
Math-Saxon 4/5
~UG.  This was one of those things that was last minute.  I was convinced that we were going to use Teaching Textbooks, but after talking w/ my bff I have changed my mind.  Billy has been wanting me to use this curriculum for 2 years now....and I've finally come around.  I think it will be good.
Science-Apologia ?
~We will be doing ELO next year and they always do science.  I'm waiting to find out which unit they choose.
History-The Story of the World
~Suzannah LOVES this curriculum.  I want to do better about getting more supplemental books this year.
Music-History of Music Pack from Beautiful Feet and piano lessons
~Excited about these books.  And as for piano lessons....I'm doing them.  Eventually we will put her back in lessons but for now, it's all me.  She's doing amazing and I am continually amazed at what she's capable of!!
Art-artist studies and Artistic Persuits
~Super excited about Artistic Persuits.  I think it will be wonderful and the kids will have a ball w/ it!
Bible-we will continue memorizing scripture and Bible stories but we will also incorporate these books.  I have heard good things about them and I think they will be wonderful for character development too.  They are the Christian Heros books by Janet and Geoff Benge.

1st Grade: Molly Beth

Reading-Pathway Readers 1
~We have used this w/ Suz for the past 2 years and it's been great for her.  We didn't start till second grade, but I think it will be a nice transition into reading for Molly Beth.
Handwriting-A Reason for Writing
~Again, this is what we used this year and we liked it so we'll continue w/ it.
Math-Horizons 1
~Horizons has been great for Suzannah.  She loves math and these workbooks have fed her love of it.  I think Molly Beth is soar w/ it too.  Although.....I AM considering just going ahead and starting her w/ Saxon.  I haven't decided yet...
Science-Apologia (same as Suzannah)
History-The Story of the World (same as Suzannah)
Music-History of Music Pack from Beautiful Feet and piano lessons (same as Suzannah)
Art-Artist studies and Artistic Persuits (same as Suzannah)

Pre K: Jack

Rod and Staff Preschool set
Before Five in a Row

So, that's what we're thinking as of now.  I like that Suzannah and Molly Beth will be doing Science, History, Music and Art together, I think that will be a lot of fun.  Now I just have to decide for sure and find the most inexpensive way to get all this stuff!!!!

*if anyone has any experience w/ any of these, good or bad, I'd love to hear about it!

3 comments:

Dixie said...

My kids use wordly wise and saxon math in public school here. I've been impressed with it.

Andy said...

What are your thoughts on "The Reading Lesson"? I have a four-year old who is anxious to read, but I'm not sure where to start. Any advice?

TexasNeals said...

andy,
i ended up not using it after all :(
i went ahead and used "Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons"
it's so great and easy. it is how i have taught my 2 oldest to read. the lessons are short so they don't get frustrated. i would recommend it! but as for the reading lesson....i never started it so i don't know?! sorry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails