Monday, January 10, 2011

Thinking About This Year's Garden



We got our seed catalogue in the mail and I have been working on garden plans ever since.  It's been 2 years since I've put much effort into our garden, but I'm ready again. This year, for the first time, I'm going to utilize our green house and start the majority of our plants from seed!  I don't know if it will end up a bust or not, but I'm going to give it a try. For one, it's cheaper!  And for two, we can get heirloom produce.

All we have are our 4 little raised beds, but by using trellis's and polls I'm hoping to have a nice garden this year.  I'm also going to incorporate more flowers than in past years.  They are great for discouraging pests and attracting helpful insects.  Not to mention, they make your garden look even prettier!

Here's what we hope to have in our garden:
-tomatoes
-squash
-zucchini
-strawberries
-bell peppers
-egg plant
-English peas
-green beans
-purple hull peas
-pickling cucumbers
-rosemary
-basil
-chives
-parsley
-mint
*and not in the garden, but new to our yard-raspberries, rhubarb, and a dwarf cherry tree!

So exciting.  I'm also going to try starting a bunch of different flowers from seed.  Mostly various wild flowers, but also sunflowers and lavender.  I'll take pictures of the process and hopefully it will be a success.  It just seems like a waste to have a green house and never use it.

I've heard that January is the time to start planning your garden so I guess I'm on track.  I'll probably plant the tomato seeds next month.  The peppers, cucumbers and flowers in march.  And then the peas and beans directly into the garden in April after the last frost.  I need to look into when the last frost is around here, but I don't imagine it's very late in April.  A lot of the other plants I'll just get from Lowe's.

I love learning about all these things and hope to involve the kids a s much as possible.  There is something so rewarding about growing your own food.  Someday we hope to be able to grow much more and a much wider variety, but starting our slow and small is the way to go.

2 comments:

Laura said...

we got our catalog yesterday too. we got our greenhouse yesterday and we are so excited!!

yeah spring!!

Jess said...

I'm jealous. I know very little about plants and gardens and every time I do plant something it dies. I told Dan one year we are going to plant a real garden in the backyard. We love fresh fruit and veggies around here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails