I read an inspiring post about gentleness earlier in the week and wanted to share a simple list of some practical ways to pursue kindness and gentleness towards our precious children.
Putting on kindness:
1. Practice kindness.
2. Recognize that whatever comes from my mouth is born in my heart.
3. Allow no corrupt talk, in any form, to come out of my mouth.
4. Learn to love kindness.
5. Recognize the difference between childish immaturity and sin.
1. Smile at your children.
2. Demonstrate constant affection toward your children.
3. Never speak in tones of sarcasm.
4. Do not raise your voice.
5. *Practice* speaking gently.
6. Adorn yourself with gentleness and a quiet spirit.
7. Utilize your husband as an accountability partner in helping you grow in gentleness.
So, as I go into the weekend I am going to make more of an effort to do these things. To be kind and gentle, even when I'm tired, the house is a mess, Suzannah is going crazy from poison oak, the baby dumps sugar all over the kitchen floor, Jack is whiny, Molly Beth spills water all over our homeschool books and the whole house needs to be deep cleaned. It's not an excuse! I'm the biggest influence in these children's lives b/c I am with them ALL THE TIME. They are looking to me to be the example of how to handle stressful situations. They are looking to me to be the example of how to treat others when you yourself are in physical discomfort. They are looking to me to be the example of Christ. It will stay with them forever and shape who they will become. No more excuses. I need to be a better example regardless of the circumstances. Here's to a fresh start!
Have a wonderful fall weekend! :)