Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Menu Plan "Monday"

I've missed Menu Plan Monday.  I wasn't getting much feedback so I decided not to do it anymore....but, I enjoy it so I'm going to start it up again.  If you try a recipe of mine I'd love to hear about it....even if your family hated it and refused to eat it!  :)

Monday:
b-soaked oatmeal, raisin toast (I've just been using my super simple bread recipe and rolling it out, spreading it w/ butter and then sprinkling it w/ cinnamon and sugar and raisins)
l-Loaded nachos
d-Lasagna, salad, garlic bread

Tuesday:
b-scrambled eggs w/ cheese, raisin toast, orange wedges
l-left over lasagna and salad
d-Veggie Burrito Bake

Wednesday:
b-yogurt and granola
l-left over burritos
d-@ Mom's

Thursday:
b-omelets, green smoothies (a whole post coming soon! ;)
l-macaroni & cheese w/ ham & peas, sliced peaches, pretzels
d-Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, creamed corn, salad, rolls (company)

Friday:
b-cereal and fruit
l-left over meatloaf sandwiches, chips, fruit (if we manage to do some serious damage on the meatloaf we'll be having baked potatoes w/ steamed broccoli, diced tomatoes, ranch dressing and shredded Cheddar)
d-BBQ chicken pizza, veggie dippers (Movie night: Court Jester...SO excited!)

Saturday:
b-breakfast casserole, green smoothies
l-spinach artichoke dip w/ chips and leftover pizza
d-Hamburgers, baked beans, corn on the cob, pasta salad, chips (Family night: folks over)
d-apple pie and ice cream

Sunday:
b-left over breakfast casserole
l-out
d-BAT wraps (bacon, avocado, tomato, lettuce, ranch dressing wrapped in a tortilla) and chips

Veggie Burrito Bake
*this is so healthy and delicious AND cost effective AND filling!!!  I'm always on the lookout for a great vegetarian dish and this is definitely one!!
-1 large clove garlic, minced
-1 medium onion, minced
-3/4 cup uncooked rice (white or brown)
-3/4 tsp. turmeric
-1 1/2 chicken or vegetable broth
-16 cups loosely packed fresh spinach (I never use quite that much)
-1 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
-salt and pepper to taste
-2 cups cooked black beans (I just use 2 cans, rinsed and drained)
-1 tbsp. chili powder -1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded

Saute the 1 minced garlic clove, onion, uncooked rice and turmeric in a saucepan until the onion is tender.  Stir often.  Add the broth and mix well.  Simmer covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes for white rice, 40 minutes for brown rice.  Remove from heat, fluff with fork and set aside.
While the rice is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a fry pan on high heat.  Add remaining garlic and the spinach, one handful at a time as it wilts, adding a little water as needed to prevent sticking.  Spinach should be moist, with loose leaves, not all clumped together.
In a bowl, combine black beans and chili powder.

Layer the ingredients as follows in a 2-quart baking dish: half of the spinach, all of the rice, all of the beans, remaining spinach.  Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.  Cover and bake until sizzling 45 minutes (it has never taken me that long.  Just keep an eye on the cheese and take it out when it's warmed through)

Spoon into warm tortillas. Top w/ sour cream, salsa, fresh cilantro or whatever your family would like!!!

I LOVE sharing recipes!  But I know that I enjoy a new recipe more when there is a picture with it.  I'm going to try to do better about including a photo of these delicious recipes.  I'm even going to take pictures when I cook something that I've already posted and edit the post to include the picture!  Won't that be fun :)

Hope everyone has a great week and has planned out their menus for the week!  ;)

ps-thanks for the inspiration Audra!!  ;)

6 comments:

The Venables said...

I love reading your menu plans and have even tried some of the recipes! I am so excited to try the veggie burrito bake.....I am always looking for good veggie dinners too! Thanks for posting and now you know at least one person that loves to read it even if I don't comment! Thanks gal!

Jess said...

Your granola recipe is one of our favorites.

all4memories said...

I LOVE to read ALL of your posts!! And I have to agree, your granola recipe rocks!! Our whole family likes it!!

Audra Caldwell said...

I so glad you reminded me of this granola recipe too!! I completly forgot about it! And I love reading your menu plan... so please keep it up! Our favorite veg. recipie is eggplant parmasian! LOVE IT!! And I have to say, I'm super curious about the green smoothies. We love the strawberry peach smoothies that you put on here forever ago! Still make them all the time.

Ashley said...

You have inspired me to break out my bread machine! I hope it still works after such a long time:) We miss y'all!

Mamalion said...

I am trying the veggie dish. I will be honest...because of my cooking group I dont' cook very much any more since I cheat and do it all once a quarter. It is a delightful pleasure and wonderful for me and my schedule, but every now and then we run out of food before cooking time or I just want to cook! I'm going for it! Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails