Monday, August 2, 2010

Marvelous Recipe Monday ;)

After 7 days of vacation we are finally home!  We were on the road 42 hours and went through 9 states.  2,803 miles total!  We are worn out but we had a great time! My camera broke, but thanks to amazing photographer cousin Jess, I should have pictures to share later!

Since I can't post about our trip I thought I'd share a recipe.  Last night we made Lettuce Wraps for the first time.  They were great!  The kids even gobbled them up.  We served them with brown rice and veggie pot stickers.  Very YUM!  You can find the original recipe here and Pioneer Woman's pictures of her version here.

Here's OUR version:

LETTUCE WRAPS
-1/2 tsp. Sesame oil
-1 Tbs. Canola oil
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 Tbs freshly grated ginger
-1 large onion, diced
-1 large red pepper, diced
-1 lb. ground turkey
-can water chestnuts
-2 Tbs. Hoisin sauce
-2 Tbs. Teriaki sauce
-3 Tbs. Soy sauce
-1 Tbs. cooking Sheri
-1 tsp. sugar
-head of iceberg lettuce, washed and separated

1.  Dice onion and put in small bow.  Mince garlic and grate ginger (on finest grate) and leave on cutting board. Heat skillet and add oils.
2.  When oils are warm add onions.  Cook till soft and slightly translucent (4-5 minutes).  Add garlic and ginger.  Add turkey and cook till browned.
3.  Chop pepper and water chestnuts while you are browning the meat.  Add and stir.  Cook a few minutes and add cooking Sheri.
4.  Combine remaining ingredients and pour over meat mixture.  Cook a few minutes.
5.  Wrap in individual leaves of iceberg lettuce.

Makes a great summer dinner!  :)

3 comments:

Life with the Akin Clan said...

We have missed you! I hope Susannah can come tomorrow!

Jess said...

We were so glad to see you. Happy to hear you made it home safely. Can't wait to share all the photos with you.
I have never had a lettuce wrap, but the recipe looks yummy. I love to eat my burgers wrapped in a piece of lettuce rather than a bun. Ever do that?

Audra Caldwell said...

Hey, Thanks for the recipe. Pampered Chef also has a great recipe for lettuce wraps, I'll try to share it soon.
I also have a question about your blog layout... how did you get the gadget that shows "you might also like..." under your post? I'm trying to update my blog and I would like to include that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails