Sunday, August 8, 2010

Almost Time for School

The summer is quickly coming to an end.  Our first day of school will be August 23rd.  We're all so excited!  Last year was difficult. We had several things working against us.  This year should be much easier!!  Here's what we'll be doing!

Molly Beth (Kindergarten):

Math: We have really enjoyed Horizons math for Suzannah so we decided to see what B thought.
 
Reading:


Writing:

Grammar:  I'm not really big on grammar so young, but these books looked excellent.
Geography:
Beginning Geography 
 
History and Science: Molly Beth will be invited to listen in on Suzannah's history and science.  But I'll be doing seasonal unit studies w/ her that will cover age appropriate history and science topics.

Suzannah:
Math:
 and Daily Word Problems 

Reading:

Handwriting:


Writing: along with journal entries and book reports:


Grammar:











 
History:

Geography:
Science:
  Apologia Flying Creatures

Spelling: I'm not big on spelling lists.  I think that in general they're a waste of time, but the way that this curriculum uses lists makes sense to me.  I saw improvement in Suzannah's spelling in her writings so I decided to use it again this year.
Sequential Spelling
 
Foreign Language:  My Dad has agreed to teach Suzannah and Molly Beth Greek!  So exciting!


Art:
we're sticking with The Lambs Book of Art series.  We will also be focusing on on artist per month during circle time. 

Circle Time:
Circle time has been a favorite time of our day!  We will finish states and capitals. Start Presidents.  Continue character studies, scripture memorization, Bible reading and hymn learning.  We will also start reading a series of books that tell stories of heroes of the faith.  I've been intrigued by the Drawing through the Psalms/Proverbs series and am still debating whether or not we will do this year. We will also be going through the book 365 Manners Kids Should Know.

Read alouds:
Finish up the Little House series
Understood Betsy
Caddie Woodlawn
The Year of Miss Agnes
In Grandma's Attic
All of a Kind Family
Pollyanna

This looks like so much and sounds rigid to me.  It won't be.  My main focus is still 10 before 10!  And our schedule will show where our main priorities lie.  I'm continuing to learn how to be flexible.  To take advantage of schooling at home...and letting go of standards that others have for my children.  I'm learning who my children are and how they best learn.  I'm learning what is important to Billy and I for our children to know...and when.  I'm letting go of the pressure I put on myself and my goal for this year and to ENJOY it!  I hope all of you have a wonderful year and are able to ENJOY it too!!!

5 comments:

Jess said...

Sounds like you have a great year planned. I am going to have to have you give me some tips when it comes time for Mabry to start school. The school district around here is horrible and we are seriously considering homeschooling.

Life with the Akin Clan said...

Looks great! We are doing the manners book also! How funny! We are supposed to start Wednesday but with our French student here it may not happen. We shall see! They are actually learning a lot more about the world with him here. If they are listening. We miss you guys!! I know I always say that but it's so true.

Jessi -in love with her family of four said...

Love it. Love you too:D

TexasNeals said...

jess,
i'll be happy to help any way i can! :)

on another note, all the pictures are so beautiful! you did a great job!

Brad, Amy & Sadie said...

I am so impressed with your home-schooling. Really. Looks like you are set for a great school year!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails