Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Slaughterday Update

Suzannah's hand

This past Saturday was slaughter day. The Saturday b/f it was just too cold so the roasters got an extra week to eat. :)
I couldn't find my camera so I didn't get any pictures of the process. I know, you're disappointed. But Eric came over to help Billy out. His family is the one that gave us our first 4 chicks. They are planning on getting some roasters(like 50!!!) so he wanted to come and help Billy to see what it was like. I just knew it was going to take all weekend, but less than 2 hours later all 9 birds were done!!! They amazed me. Such manly men! :)


We gave Eric two birds and here's what we have left w/...not counting the 13 quarts of chicken stock I made w/ the backs. Our freezer is looking so good. We have half a pig in there and 9 chickens. If only we'd have gone in halfzies w/ my folks and bought a cow! Oh well. ;)
I'd say it was a pretty successful day!

6 comments:

Life with the Akin Clan said...

Thank you again for the chicken! We have eaten on one of them for 2 nights. It is delicious! And I think we are getting 25 roasters, not 50. ;-) Still a lot!!

jaymie said...

LOVE it! Yummy Yummy!

Grams said...

Holy Moly those are some big chickens. Won't take very many of those to fill a freezer:))

Miss you guys

The Clevelands said...

Oh, those poor chickens!! ;)

J. Mo said...

Stace, What Great-Looking Chickens! Ask Billy to give me a call and tell me how to go about slaughtering chickens... Really, would like to know how he went about it.
We love you all,
Johnny and Carol

J. Mo said...

Stace, Great-Looking Chickens! Would you ask bit late to give me a call(662-719-8507) and tell me about the processing of those chickens? We enjoy reading your post. The kids are really growing up so fast.
We love you all,
Mr. Johnny and Ms. Carol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails