Friday, August 21, 2009

Happy 10th Anniversary

Today Billy and I have been married for 10 years. I can honestly say they have been the best 10 years of my life. He is without a doubt the most perfect man for me and I am so very thankful that he is my husband. He has been so good to me and has made me a better person and I am so grateful for him.


Marriage is such a fragile thing these days. I'm so thankful that ours is so strong and pray it always will be. I was thinking about what it takes to have a successful marriage. I've only been in this for a short 10 years, so it's not like I have a lot of wisdom to share, but for what it's worth, here are the top 3 that come to mind...in no particular order.


#1. Expectations. I think it's important to communicate our expectations. Ha. Funny story... During premarital counseling Bruce asked Billy where he saw me in 10 years. Billy's response was, "Barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen." He was taken aback and looked at me, expecting to see smoke coming out of my ears no doubt. I responded, "Me too." Unfortunately I missed meeting this expectation by 6 weeks and 2 days! ;)



#2. Commitment. We have never once entertained the idea of divorce. In fact, we have verbally denounced it as an option. We are in this for the long haul so we should make it as pleasant as possible.



#3. Selfless love. Trying to love the other person more that we love ourselves. To sacrifice and die to ourselves, not because the other person deserves it, but because it's pleasing to God and He will bless these sacrifices.


We have definitely had our share of hard times. We have had our share of ugly moments and mistakes. But by the grace of God we have continued to love each other through it.



It's been a wonderful 10 years and Lord willing we'll be blessed w/ many many more!!!


His mouth is sweetness itself;
he is altogether lovely.
This is my lover, this is my friend.
Prov. 5:6

7 comments:

Jeff and Kristina Sims said...

Congratulations guys! And thank you for the beautiful example you are to so many other couples. It's nice to see that, despite what the world says, it really can be done. :)

The Clevelands said...

Happy anniversary!

J. Mo said...

Happy Anniversary! I know you'll look for many many more. You to make a beautiful couple.

We love you both, Johnny and Carol

Luke said...

Happy Anniversary!

~Luke

Rebekah said...

Happy anniversary!

Dixie said...

How do you get to look exactly like you did on your wedding day? Not fair, not fair.

Happy Anniversary you two

Jill said...

Congratulations to you both! 10 years might not seem that much in the long run but its more than a running start to a long happy life. I'm so glad you and Billy are so happy together. God has truly blessed your life, Stace :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails