Monday, July 20, 2009

An Anniversary

*Suzannah's trash from last week*

Yesterday marked the anniversary of Suzannah's Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis. I have posted her story here and another post about it here so I won't recap all that. Things are going well. It's just one of those things where you have good days and bad days. She hasn't had a scary low in a long time which is such a blessing. She is super in tune w/ her body and is able to catch them b/f she gets to a dangerous place. The highs still come every once in awhile. We can usually figure out what went wrong, but sometimes there's just no explanation. She continues to have a good attitude about the whole thing but has bad days now and then. Usually in the evening is when she gets down about it. She is learning how to give herself shots and has even done it by herself a couple times. It's incredible to me to watch her do these things herself. And to think I was still crying when someone else was giving me shots as a teenager!!! She is really something else! She wants a cure. She talks about it more and more. The thought that if they found a cure she wouldn't have to do all this is mind blowing to her! She gets so excited.
She is absolutely the apple of my eye! I'm so very thankful that things are going well and pray that they continue to. My biggest prayer is that her attitude about Diabetes will stay positive. That she will be able to keep things in perspective and not spend too much time wallowing in the stinkyness of it. I want her to be able to look at it in a way that opens her eyes to how she can better love and serve others because of it! She's getting there and I pray that as she gets older it will only get better!
I thought it would be nice to hear a few of her thoughts about Diabetes from her so I did a little impromptu video.


video

She is such a blessing.
Give thanks in everything,
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thes. 5:18

There are blessings that have come from this disease....and many more to come. Just think of all the opportunities she will have to give glory to God in spite of her circumstances and encourage others. :)

The time has come for the Walk to Cure. We participated last year and it was so wonderful! They raised a ton of money to go towards research to cure Type 1 Diabetes and our team alone raised over $3500!!! We have increased our goal this year to $5000 dollars! I know we can reach it.....it is such a worthy cause. We would love for anyone to join our team. We will have a team shirt and everything! ;) The walk will be in Dallas again this year on September 26th and it would mean so much to Suzannah for you to join us. Just click on the link in the upper left corner to join or donate. Thank you so much for your support!!!

7 comments:

April said...

Okay. Listening to her talk about not being normal and almost being a normal kid brought tears to my eyes. I loved the interview, but some of those precious thoughts are heart breaking...and I'm not even her parent! I can only imagine just how deep those emotions run for you and Billy. Yes, a cure would be GREAT.

The Clevelands said...

It brings tears to my eyes! She seems to have such a positive attitude about her circumstances and that is a tribute to how you and Billy have handled the situation. Thanks for sharing!

Mindi said...

She is so sweet! I cried, of course! She IS normal and she IS beautiful just the way God made her! I know it's so hard for her little mind to understand it all but I have no doubt she will do great things for God through her diabetes! You know where I stand on the subject and I can't believe it's already been that long since I stood in the gym and fought back tears while talking to you about it! Wow! She is such an amazing young girl!!

Laura said...

I love her so much!! I can't believe how mature she is now!! I hate those shots for her!! But what a kid! If anyone can handle this... its Suzy Q!!

My kids are already excited about the walk this year. They are already asking if we are actually going to walk the whole way this time :) Maybe... can we bring scooters this year?

Jill said...

Bless her sweet little heart! She is such a doll & so brave. I know you and Billy are so proud of her and the amazing little soldier (for Christ) she is becoming.

all4memories said...

What a sweet girl you have!! I, too pray for a cure one day. I've been a Type 1 diabetic now for 33 years (I was 7 when I was diagnosed), and I have seen so much progress made.

Jess said...

Thanks Suzannah for such a great video! You are a smart little girl and I pray that they will find a cure! I agree with everything April said in the comments.

We love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails