Here's the hamburger bun recipe I use:
-5 c. whole wheat flour
-1 1/2 c. warm water
-2 pkgs. yeast
-2 Tbs. honey
-1/4 c. water
-1/2 c. milk
-2 Tbs. butter
-2 tsp. sea salt
1. In a large bowl, stir together 3 c. flour and 1 1/2 c. warm water. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes. In the meantime, mix together 1/4 c. water, yeast and honey. Allow this to sit for 10 minutes.
2. Melt butter, milk and salt in small saucepan on stove. Don't let it get above 120 degrees.
3. Pour yeast mixture and milk mixture into flour mixture. Add remaining 2 c. of flour (or more if needed).
4. Knead for about 10 minutes until dough begins to look "shiney." Put dough back into the bowl, cover and let rise for at least an hour...or till it's doubled.
5. Pull dough onto clean counter top and knead a couple of minutes to get air bubbles out. Roll till 1/2 in. thick.
6. cut circles w/ large drinking glass or jar. Place on well buttered baking dish about 1 in. apart.
7. Allow to rise 30 minutes. Bake 20-25 minutes at 35o degrees.
Super simple and they are fabulous!!!!!! I hope you'll give it a try and I know you'll love them! :)