Thursday, June 4, 2009

Baking Day #1

I had a good appointment w/ the midwife yesterday. I'm growing fast now. I tend to do that. I start off really slowly and then really pick up the pace toward the end. Hopefully I won't pick it up so quickly that I have a 9 pounder! Anyway, I'm growing great and so is the baby. The house is all weeded out and organized and it feels amazing! I'm deep cleaning now and that feels even better! I decided it's time to get cooking so last night I did some baking.
The first thing I whipped up was the French bread. We love this recipe! It's easy, good for you and delicious. I made one mistake though.....

I baked it right b/f dinner! If you make homemade bread then you know there's nothing like fresh bread straight from the oven! The kids were about to drive me nutz wanting some! I successfully held them off.....then Billy got home. He couldn't handle it and this is what we ended up w/! ;) Don't worry, he shared w/ everyone and was the hero of the evening! HA!

Then I made some breakfast biscuits. This is my favorite recipe. They come out delicious every time!


Lastly I made some spelt biscuits.
Here's the recipe I use:
-7 c. spelt flour (I use 1/2 spelt and 1/2 wheat)
-6 tsp. baking powder
-2 1/2 tsp salt
-1 1/2 c. butter
1. SOAKING: Soak flour and buttermilk for 12-24 hrs. Include butter (melted) and 1/2 c. warm water.
2. Add remaining ingredients. Put 1/8 cup of olive oil in bottom of 2 9x13 baking pans. Pour flour on counter and pat dough to 1 in. thickness. Cut w/ glass or biscuit cutter. Dip in oil top and bottom. Put close together in pan.
3. Bake @ 400 degrees for 18 minutes.
*these are extra tasty toasted w/ butter and honey..of course that's the best way to eat all homemade breads!!! ;)
Why spelt?
"Spelt is similar to wheat in appearance. However, spelt has a tougher husk than wheat, which may help protect the nutrients in spelt. Spelt flour has a somewhat nuttier and slightly sweeter flavor than whole wheat flour. Spelt contains more protein than wheat, and the protein in spelt is easier to digest. This means that some people who are allergic to wheat may be able to tolerate spelt. Spelt has gluten, just like wheat, so spelt is not suitable for a gluten-free diet."
Alright. So that's my first installment for baking. Next up is bread! I make 2 different kinds of bread. One hearty one for Billy and I (and my folks) and a wheat for the kids...that we enjoy also. And I'll turn 2 loaves of wheat bread into delicious raisin bread! Stay tuned. :)




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails