Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day
Happy Mother's Day! We had such a great day! I think this is the first Mother's Day that I've ever been pregnant?! Every time this sweet baby moved inside me I was mindful of what a blessing it is to be a mother. It is such a gift...and I hate that I take it for granted sometimes. These little kiddos are so priceless and I am so very thankful that they have been entrusted to me!

I am also so very thankful for my sweet Mom! What a blessing to live in the same town and get to spend so much time w/ her. To be able to share my sweet blessings w/ her and watch their relationship grow. I have said it b/f....she's my hero and my best friend. I think the absolute world of her! Happy Mother's Day Mom!

One this day every year I am also mindful of all the women that long to be mothers...and yet this longing goes unfulfilled. My Aunt is one of those women. She is one of the most nurturing people I have ever met. She loves and gives endlessly. She has been so good to so many people and her nieces and nephews (and great nieces and nephews) have been incredibly blessed by her. Yet I know it's not the same. So on Mother's Day my heart hurts for her and for every other woman that longs to have their womb full w/ child. When I read this excerpt from this post I thought of them and pray they they will be blessed by it.

"Sometimes I catch myself, this laying a hand on my flatness, over that still cavity. Sometimes I can feel the pulse of ache’s howl. A woman’s body is hollowed out to create. Her soul made to knit in the private spaces. And so the longings come, these yearnings to fill, to carry, to deliver.And yet does the womb need an embryonic soul? Can any kind of soul fill the void?

And I realize: We never cease to be with child. Those of us who have birthed, and those of us who never have. We may not be with child. But we can always be with soul. Always be with the abandoned, the elderly, the needy. We need not ever let our wombs languish empty. We may always open and welcome another person to find nourishment and comfort within the empty places we have made just for them. Regardless of age or fertility, we can make spaces within for the growing of souls. For the unfurling of people’s dreams, their stories, their hurts, their lives. Do we not line our lives with the stretch marks of love?
And we of empty uteruses still swell, making ourselves homes."

Happy Mother's Day to every woman that is a mother and every woman that has ever loved and nurtured as a mother would! :)

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Beautiful pictures!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails