Monday, April 27, 2009

Menu Plan Monday



MONDAY:
B-banana bread
L-ham and cheese on leftover rolls, fruit, chips
D-leftover 3 Cheese Spaghetti, garlic bread and salad

TUESDAY:
B-oatmeal, fruit
L-in Shreveport
D-Sloppy Joes on homemade buns, peas and corn, spinach and strawberry salad

WEDNESDAY:
B-scrambled egg sandwiches, fruit
L-mac&cheese, LO peas and corn, strawberry peach slushies
D-Paula Deen's Chicken Rice Casserole, leftover spinach and strawberry salad (if left)

THURSDAY:
B-yogurt and granola, fruit
L-LO casserole
D-@ Mom's

FRIDAY:
B-waffles w/ peanut butter and honey, banana boats
L-sandwiches, pretzels, fruit
D-Calzones and veggie dippers

SATURDAY:
B-breakfast burritos (on homemade tortillas)
L-Pesto Pasta Salad
D-Meatballs, mashed potatoes, green beans, tossed salad, spelt biscuits

SUNDAY:
B-spelt biscuits w/ butter and honey
L-OUT
D-meatball sandwiches and LO salad

Paula Deen's Chicken and Rice Casserole
*you can't go wrong w/ Paula! This is a GREAT one dish recipe! My kids love it and so do we.
-2 cans of green beans, rinsed and drained
-3 cups diced cooked chicken
-1 medium onion diced and sauteed
-1 (8oz) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
-1 (4 oz) can pimentos
-1 can condensed cream of celery soup
-1 cup mayonnaise
-6 oz long-grain rice, cooked according to package directions
-1 cup grated Sharp Cheddar
-pinch salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 3 qt. casserole dish. Bake for 20-25.

Homemade Tortillas
*I started making these b/c I couldn't find any w/o partially hydrogenated oil and we really like them. They are easy and quick!
-3c. whole wheat flour
-1 c. warm water
-1/4 tsp. baking powder
-1 tsp. salt
-1/4 c. oil
Measure liquid ingredients into mixing bowl.
Add baking powder and salt kneading flour until dough is workable. NOT TOO STIFF. Let stand 10 minutes.
Shape into 8-10 balls and let stand 10 more minutes.
Roll out one at a time and cook in skillet on medium high about 20-30 seconds per side. I just kind of eyeball it.

Sloppy Joe Sauce
*better than Manwich and a WHOLE lot healthier!
-1 c. onion, chopped
-3 Tbs. olive oil
-15 oz. diced tomatoes
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-6oz. can tomato paste
-1/2 c. ketchup
-1 tsp. mustard powder
-1 Tbs. chili powder
-3-5 Tbs honey
-dash of Worcestershire sauce
-1-2 Tbs BBQ sauce
-salt and pepper to taste
Cook onions in oil till translucent. Add tomatoes and garlic and cook 5 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, ketchup mustard powder, chili powder, honey and Worcestershire sauce; simmer 5-10 minutes until thickened.
Add browned ground beef and serve on buns.

9 comments:

Dixie said...

AT LAST! I finally know what to feed my family! Thanks Stace!

Really, I made banana bread tonight (Mon) for Ladies' Bible class tomorrow. We had crock pot BBQ chicken on hoagie buns (whole wheat of course) which is akin to the sloppy joes. I must be on your food prep wave length! Awesome.

I know I'm uneducated but what is a spelt? And one more thing, I love that chicken recipe, but I've always heard it called Chicken Spectacular...because it really is.

See ya Girl. Glad you're back in blog land.

D

Rusty and Ann said...

I've been wondering where you've been! Glad you can take it easy this week, hopefully! I've never tried making whole wheat tortillas- I've been too scared to waste my whole wheat flour on tortillas in case they weren't good, but I'll try this out! Thanks! Love you, girl! Take it easy when you can!

Bethany said...

YEAH! I'm so glad to get the recipes. I can't wait to try the tortillas and other yummy dishes. I hope you had a relaxing Monday and that this week isn't so hectic for y'all. Thanks for including Psalm 118:24 at the end...I needed to be reminded of that today :)

Jenny said...

thank you for the recipes! they sound amazing!

Laura said...

I love to make homemade tortillas! I have never tried it with wheat but I am tonight!

I have a tortilla press which is fun for the boys to use! I will let you borrow it sometime!!

all4memories said...

I, too want to thank you for sharing the recipes and scripture. I enjoy reading your blog.

I was wondering if you have an idea for an alternative to ketchup or maybe have a recipe for making your own? My family LOVES ketchup and eats it on about everything, but I've noticed that it has the HFCS in it, so I've not been buying it. :o)

Thank you for sharing your ideas and taking your time to include recipes!! It helps out so much, and they are all delicious!!!

TexasNeals said...

Thank you to everyone! I'm so glad that you enjoy the menus and recipes!!!! :)

Homemade Ketchup
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons Rapadura (rapadura is a wonderful natural sweetener, great replacement for brown sugar! I would imagine this would also be successful with replacing rapadura entirely with honey!)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon molasses
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup water

Mix together all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat; simmer gently until you get the consistency of ketchup, 30-45 minutes. Add a little more water, if necessary. Taste and adjust salt if desired before serving. Makes about 1-1/2 cups. On average, homemade condiments last anywhere from 2-3 weeks.

Organic Ketchup doesn't have HFCS but it does have a lot of sugar so this is a heathier option. :)

Jill said...

Another recipe request... do you make your own granola? I LOVE your granola bars and got my mom & sisters hooked, too! Thanks for all the fun ideas & how-to's. If you wanted to throw in the spelt biscuit recipe, too, I wouldn't complain :D

TexasNeals said...

jill,
you can fine the granola recipe i use here:
http://texasneals.blogspot.com/2008/10/granola.html
definately take the time to toast the coconut!! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails