Friday, March 20, 2009

I Wanna Be a Fun Mom Friday

When I was little I just knew that I would be a fun mom. I had all kinds of great ideas and was so excited. And actually, I did a fair job w/ Suzannah. We did lots of arts and crafts and holiday stuff. Then Molly Beth came along and arts and crafts were strictly for holidays. By the time Jack rolled around we were on survival mode and it all went out the window!! Well, I've been thinking about revisiting tempera paint and it's relatives here lately. I love arts and crafts....and so do all children (if you think your kids don't like crafts you just haven't found the medium that appeals to them!)! Plus, we serve the master artist/creator! We are made in His image and therefore also get pleasure from creating. It makes me sad every time I hear an adult say that they are not creative. Everyone is creative in some way. Anyway, I have decided that surely I can do something fun at least one day a week. I'll share them on my blog and maybe some of you that have put Art on the back burner will get inspired to do some w/ your own kids! ;) Oh, and please share you fun ideas. I am not a fun mom by nature and need all the help I can get!!

So, today is the first day of Spring and to celebrate we decided to make some place mats. The verse in Matthew where Jesus is talking about not worrying has been running through my head for the past few weeks and I thought that tied in perfectly w/ Spring....well, loosely anyway! ;) So I wrote this verse (See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.) on a large sheet of paper and had the kids water color a spring scene. Realistic or abstract, just whatever they wanted. Then, while they dried we went out and collected all kinds of beautiful flowers, grasses and leaves. We came in and dumped them all out in the middle of the table and they started gluing away.



Then I pressed them under boards w/ paint cans on top and covered them w/ contact paper. It's lame, I know, but it was something and man, did I ever feel good. I let my kids be creative and artsy and make a mess! Ha! :)


They had a great time and we got to talk about all kinds of things in the process. King Solomon, trusting God to provide and lots of different things about plants and flowers. It was fun.


Here's Suzannah's.



Here's Molly Beth's.
I'm not 100% sure what we'll be doing next week, but I'll be sure to share. Hope everyone enjoys this beautiful weather this weekend! :)





6 comments:

Davies Family said...

Cute placemats! Ummmm, this is not nearly as creative or cute, but it's easy.:) We went to a friend's house today and sat outside in the grass and painted rocks and sticks that we had collected earlier in the week. No real theme, but the kids had fun making a mess. I think Caleb ended up more painted than the rocks. :)

YaYa and Pops said...

Love the placemats Stace. My first thought was of the clean-up! That's how "unfun" I am. I don't have to tell you!!! Sorry :-( Glad you overcame my issues ;-)

Laura said...

Very fun! We just played outside and raked leaves! You homeschool for crafts... I homeschool for slave labor :)

The Clevelands said...

My usual statement - just let me know when the fun is and I'll send my kids!! :) No one will go grocery shopping for me or make my meals, so maybe this???!

More seriously, CUTE idea! I will look forward to seeing what you are doing and maybe I can become a more fun mom!

Jessica said...

VERY CUTE IDEA!!! I too love arts and crafts! We do lots of glue and glitter at our house.

Dixie said...

It is so not lame.
You're such a fun mom:)
D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails