Sunday, March 22, 2009

Homemade Granola Bars

My kids love granola bars!!! They are a quick and easy snack and fairly healthy for a sweet (if you get the one's w/ no HFCS) so I buy them almost every other week. Well, in the interest of being frugal and trying to make things from scratch, I found a recipe for homemade granola bars. Y'all it was so easy and they were delicious!!!! You've got to give it a try! The hardest part was waiting for them to cool completely b/f digging in!!!
K, I'm no Pioneer Woman, so have mercy on my pitiful attempt to document it, but the pictures just prove how incredible easy it was!

Alrighty, gather your ingredients:
-2 1/2 c. quick oats (I used half quick and half rolled. I'll try w/ only rolled next time b/c the quick are so processed that they have like zero nutritional value)
-1/2 c. Rice Krispies (I used puffed brown rice)
-1/4 c. coconut
-1/2 c. M&Ms (I used dark chocolate chips)
-1/2 c. brown sugar
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/2 c. butter, softened
-1/4 c. honey
-1/2 tsp. vanilla
Dump all ingredients into a bowl.

Mix. I used my hands b/c it was easier to get the butter fully incorporated.


Press into 8x8 baking pan. Make sure you press it as compact as you can. Look at that sneaky little hand stealing a taste!!!! ;)


Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes.


Cool for 10 minutes then score the top.



Let cool completely and cut into bars.
Oh, I hope you enjoy them as much as we have!!! I have a feeling I'll be making these a lot! :)






13 comments:

Marie said...

This looks really good! I am excited to try them! I also was wondering.... Do you freeze your bread dough and then make it when you need it or do you make a bunch and bake it right then and freeze the loaves? I am looking at starting to make our own bread and was wondering. I am still working a t the moment so was trying to figure out which way is easier. Thanks!- keep the recipes coming!

Jessi -in love with her boys:) said...

wooo hoo, Thanks girl:D

TexasNeals said...

marie,

bake and then freeze. i've never tried to freeze bread dough. i know you can freeze pizza dough and cookie dough...but like i said, i've never frozen bread dough, so i don't know?

MamasHood said...

My mouth watered just looking at them. I think I am going to have to try this soon.
I have a question about the bread you bake, do you use your oven or a bread maker??

TexasNeals said...

marie,

the bread that i make is by hand and thrown in the oven. it would be so much easier if it would work in the bread machine, but it makes 4-5 loaves at a time which is great! plus, the recipe didn't mention how to make it in a bread machine so i'm too scared to try! ;)

TexasNeals said...

sorry, jess! that was an answer to your question!?!

Marie said...

Oh that sound like my kind of recipe! Have you posted it before? I found one on Biblical Womanhood, and that was what I was going to try first. But I would be interested in one that makes a lot at once! Thanks for "pushing" me to try all these things- always wanted to, but always got nervous!

Jessica said...

thanks for the gluten free recipe!!! Yay!!! we love granola bars at our house too. we have to buy them often. i think i will try making them!
thanks again!

Amy S. said...

Thanks for sharing! I make granola balls for the kids sometimes but never thought about making granola bars.

Mamalion said...

You are just so my new best friend! I am following your blog today and refocusing my menu and ideas. Yours is so great and helpful. I love your pics and comments. That is so very helpful. I might do the same things, but I'm afraid my few blog followers would pass out! Might be worth a try! LOL Thanks for sharing the details of your life, especially the cooking and food part. I will be stalking your blog all day today.

Marie said...

Ok- just made these (baking as I speak) and they look so good! I have to say, though- I learned I needed a bigger mixing bowl- it went everywhere!!

Jill said...

I can't wait to try these! We're snowed in so maybe I'll do it tonight for tomorrow's breakfast. That's funny that you mentioned the Pioneer Woman... I've been meaning to suggest her blog to you. I should've known you would know of her since she home schools and all :D

Jill said...

I made these over the weekend. They are soooooo (I would keep going with the o's) good! The whole pan was gone in a couple days. I ate 3, yes 3, in one morning. I'm making more tomorrow...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails