Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Menu Plan and HFCS

Menu Plan


Monday:
b-Soaked oatmeal and fruit, toast
l-Peanut butter and Jelly, cheese crackers, fruit
d-Tortellini, tossed salad, garlic toast

Tuesday:
b-yogurt and granola, fruit
l-turkey sandwiches,pretzles, fruit
d-Chicken Pot Pie

Wednesday:
b-scrambled eggs, toast, fruit
l-@ Mom's
d-meatball subs, macaroni salad, baked beans

Thursday:
b-banana bread, grapes, milk
l-bean burritos, chips and salsa, fruit
d-@ Mom's

Friday:
b-eggs in a basket, fruit
l-veggie soup and crackers
d-pepperoni loaf, fresh veggies on the road

Saturday:
Lord willing we will be out of town visiting friends :)

Sunday:
We probably won't get home till dinner time and will probably pick something up

Chicken Pot Pie
*this is SOOOOOOOOOO good! I make it all the time. My kids gobble it up! :) And I usually have enough to freeze for another meal!!!
-6 boneless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
-1 Medium onion, chopped
-2 Tbs. butter
-1 c. chicken broth (I just save the water off the cooked chicken)
-Bay Leaf
-1-1/2 c. frozen mixed vegetables
-2-3 medium potatoes, cut up (I usually do more)
-2 Tbs cornstarch in 2 Tbs water, mixed
-1 can cream of mushroom soup
-1/2 c. sour cream
-1/2 c. grated cheddar
-2 pic crusts
Cook chicken and onion in butter about 5 five minutes. Add broth, vegetables and bay leaf.
Simmer on low for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Add cornstarch mixture, mushroom soup and sour cream.
Pour into pie crust. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover w/ other crust.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Pepperoni Loaf
*this is a great recipe that I learned from Billy's Mom. It is perfect for eating on the road!*
-package of frozen dough loaves
-1 egg
-2 Tbs Parmesan cheese
-package of mozzarella
-package of pepperoni
Thaw two loaves of dough and allow to rise. Roll out to large oval shape. Combine egg, Parmesan cheese and bit of water to make a spreadable consistency. Spread on rolled out dough. Sprinkle Moz evenly and place pepperoni evenly. Roll up starting on the long side. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 400.


~Now there's something that I want to share w/ you that is food related. I am kind of a health nut. I love learning about how to be healthy and believe that it is an important part of loving my husband and children. However, although I feel passionately about it, I haven't felt comfortable really going into it on my blog....b/c let's face it, y'all already think I'm nuts!!! ;) But I must share this w/ you. I am totally frustrated w/ the media lying to us about what is healthy and how to be healthy! I'm tired of us buying it and poisoning our families!!!!
I'm sure that most, if not all, of you have heard about the controversy over High Fructose Corn Syrup. Well, now I've been seeing all these articles about how they are finding mercury in the HFCS!? Could it be that this is a cause of the increase of children diagnosed w/ autism? We know that there are high levels of mercury in their systems and yet our doctors tell us there is no longer mercury in our vaccinations! So where is it coming from? Could it be the garbage we are feeding them? Possibly. I would really encourage you to read the labels. If you had to pick two things to stay away from they should be High Fructose Corn Syrup and Partially Hydrogenated Oils. It really is like poison and we are pouring it into our kids!!! Why?! Out of ignorance, laziness? No excuses. Let's educate ourselves and take care of our families. I know it's in everything, but there are ways to get around it!!! I promise! I've been at this for over 2 years now and it is possible!
K, now you see why I haven't gotten in to food and nutrition on my blog! Ha! ;) Really, I'm sorry to get so worked up, but in some countries HFCS is outlawed and yet our country is making commercials to convince us to continue to consume it!!!!??? ARG! Here's a link to one article about it.

Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful week! :)

15 comments:

Once Upon A Closet said...

So making that pepperoni loaf this weekend! Out of my new homemade pizza crust recipe. Ok, I went and checked and it's all my children's products that have the HFCS! Yikes!

all4memories said...

Thanks for sharing this info. I try to eat healthy and feed my family healthy things, so it helps to know things. Thanks again and blessings to your family.

all4memories said...

If you don't mind and have the time, if you come across other things that will help us stay healthy, please post. Thanks!

jennifer said...

Can't wait to see you guys this weekend. Vail keeps talking about seeing her cousins.:)

Caldwell Clan said...

thanks for the info on HFCS! I am embarassed to say I didn't know. Anyways, Thanks!

Jessica said...

Amen sister!!! I too am a health nut! I try to keep my kiddos away from the garbage as much as possible.
Also, I always love seeing your recipes...but, I was wondering if you had any that don't have wheat in them (gluten). Rylan is allergic, so any pastas and bread/wheat recipes are OUT. Do you have anything?? (I feel like that sounded like a Dear Abby...sorry for that! You don't actually have to think about feeding my child.)

TexasNeals said...

jess,
to be honest....i just don't know a whole lot about gluten free diets? what flours can she eat? do you shop at drug emporium? they have a pretty large gluten free section. i think they even have pastas. are sprouted grains or soaked grains ok for her? i know they are better for everyone else, but like i said, i just don't know much about celiacs disease (is that what it's called?). i'll think on it. in the mean time, there is a blog that has some yummy looking recipes called glutenfreemommy.com
maybe you'll see some good looking recipes there. and she has tons of links to other gluten free sites. :)

Donna said...

Just wanted to let you know that I prepared the chicken pot pie last night and we loved it!! Gmother and I especially lapped it up...Uncle Lowell said,"This would be really good without the peas and beans....but it's good". I think he realized he better end with a positive note if he ever expects me to cook for him again. I guess when I make it again I'll just add corn and carrots!! Sad isn't it?!!

Are you planning on coming to Cleveland this week-end? We were in Denison last week-end, so I'm glad we'll be here for your visit.

See you then.

Love, Aunt Donna

Marie said...

OK- I have to ask- how do you make soaked oatmeal? I see it on your menu every week and I am very curious! Like you I am very careful about trans fat, the oils and HFCS. I read labels on everything, from canned items, to breads. We do a lot of whole wheat things and I have noticed a huge difference in Caleb, since starting it. Thanks for the articles. I enjoy your food rants! :)

Jenny said...

how long do you back the pepperoni loaf? thank you for the info...i am going to check cole's food now!

TexasNeals said...

marie, i'll post the recipe i use for our oatmeal next week. :)

jenny, good question? i don't know?! ;) i usually just keep an eye on it and wait until it looks done and the cheese is oozing out?! Vail, can you help me out?!

Mamalion said...

Loved reading some of your blog. I had a surprising extra few minutes and decided to read. What are you eating to replace the HFCS... post these options that you have found. We all can learn from them. Don't be afraid to post. We can learn so much from each other. I am so excited to read your chicken pot pie recipe. I have a couple, but they are just average at best and have been wanting to try a new one. Yippee. Now I get to. Hopefully sometime this weekend it will grace our table. Thank!

Jessica said...

Thanks stace! you're the best! love the website!
yes, i shop at drug emporium...all the time! we buy some pastas. she can have rice and corn and spelt, but not the sprouted grains. it is still wheat.
she however, is not celiacs(sp?), it is just an allergy (Thank God), and the doctor thinks she will probably grow out of it.
Thanks again! you are sooooo wonderful!

The Clevelands said...

Just had to comment that I'm not really good about watching things like this, but you have me thinking (I hate it when that happens!). So, this weekend I did buy natural peanut butter and some type of butter spread (can't remember the name of it now) that doesn't have partially hydrogenated oil! Hope you had a good weekend!

Randi said...

Thanks for sharing! This has become a goal of mine--helping my family to eat healthy. So I appreciate any info,recipes, etc. that you share! I have been trying to avoid HFCS for some time now but it is really difficult. Just finding a loaf of bread without it is a chore! I'd love to hear more about namebrands you like...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails