Friday, February 13, 2009

Kid's Responsibilities

We have officially entered into "Birthday Season" around here! February, March, April, boom, boom, boom!!! No break. So, something that is on my mind is changing the kids responsibilities. Along w/ presents, they get more chores!!! ;) I don't know how y'all come up w/ age appropriate responsibilities, but I stumbled onto this great little article a few years back and we've been using it as a guide ever since. Giving kids responsibilities around the house is so important. It teaches them so many things and makes them feel like a vital part of the family!
I don't know if this will be of interest to anyone, but I'll go ahead and share how all this works in our house. As you can see in the picture above, I have made a little "flip chart" for them w/ pictures and words. On the first page I have their "Morning Habits." These are the things they are expected to do every day! I finally added this page b/c I was SO sick and tired of going through the list. "Did you brush your teeth? Did you make your bed?" etc. Anyway, then there's a page for every day of the week (except Sunday) w/ their responsibilities for that day. It has worked so well for us. Suzannah has hers memorized, but the visual is still helpful. It actually helps me stay accountable too. Instead of putting it off, I just have to reinforce what is already on paper.
Like I said, this post may serve little to no purpose, but I was about to have to change their charts up and thought there may be someone out there that could get something from that link.
Hope you all have a Happy Valentine's Day and a wonderful weekend! :)

7 comments:

The Clevelands said...

Thanks for sharing - I would love to see the flip chart more up close and personal. Any way you could bring it to ELO some Wednesday? I'm so terrible at being consistent with the kids. I've tried several things and they just haven't worked. Thanks!

Charity Boozier said...

I LOVE lists and especially chore lists. Around our house, we all have lists. Taylor is now learning to make her own list and lfe changes. We hope and pray this will bring responsibility.

Thanks for putting Piano on the list too! We teachers thrive on that.

Rebekah said...

That's a cute idea...you must have a teaching background in you! Let me know if you come across something like that for husbands! :)

Jaime said...

I really liked the age-appropriate chore ideas. I think I am not expecting enough of my kiddos, and it's mainly because I haven't sat down to figure out a consistent list for them. Thanks for the link and the great idea!

Rusty and Ann said...

Good idea, Stacey, I have a hard time figuring out what Hallie should/could be doing, I think it would give her confidence, too, to get her chores done and know she can do it by herself. Did I notice "panties on" is on the flip chart? I am so curious (er...nosy)....does she like going commando?

TexasNeals said...

ann marie king cladwell,
billy said something about what people would think about the "panties" thing and i told him that it wouldn't be a big deal. leave it to you to bring it up!!! ha! the panties thing is to put on clean panties and get dressed. :)
happy birthday to sweet hallie!
love you girl!

Sandi said...

Stacy, I peek in on your blog every now and then (don't know if you'll remember me -- I lived with Amy in college), and I love this list. I am looking for a good way to get the kids consistent with their chores. As it is now, our oldest (4) does his "jobs" each morning which consists of getting dressed, making his bed, and brushing teeth. I like your chore chart and might steal the idea. What are some of the other chores that each does on specific days? Do they rotate so that there is a job that one child does one day and another does another day? I'm just curious...thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails