Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Blast those Christmas lights!!!!

OK, I am really frustrated!!! We went and cut down our tree on Sunday. Well, last year we had an artificial, prelit tree....so we didn't have enough lights. Billy ran to Wal-mart Sun. night and came home w/ the lights we would need to finish up the tree so that we could decorate Mon. night. He opened the box and the lights only had a plug thingy on one end? Have you ever heard of that?!?! Well, it was late so I told him that I would exchange them on Mon. I went and returned them, but being the placenta brain that I am, I forgot to get the new lights. Mon. night, Billy goes to WM and gets the lights. We tell the kids that we'll have to do it Tues. night. Put the kids to bed. Get the lights out. Are on the last strand and half the lights are burnt out!!!! BRAND NEW! ARG! Fast forward to today. I've been decorating the house and TWO of my garland light strands are burnt out. What in the world!!!! I'm very frustrated w/ lights. For me at Christmas you can't have enough lights.....and I definitely don't have enough lights. So, before I started throwing my snow globes and little Santa figurines, I figured I ought to get my mind off of my frustrations. What's the best way to do that? A "Tag" of course! ;)

Wrapping paper or gift bags? I think that Wrapping paper is more fun to open. Plus, there couldn't be wadded up paper fights if all we used were bags!!!

Real tree or artificial? We had a real tree for the first several years of our marriage. But it was expensive and time consuming. So, we spent $50 on a prelit artificial and loved it. We just sold that wonderful tree in a yard sale a couple of weekends ago....so we're back to real.

When do you put up the tree? The weekend of Thanksgiving....but never before!!! ;)

When do you take it down? The day after New Year's.

Do you like eggnog? YES! Especially w/ a little sprinkle of nutmeg. Yummmmm.

Favorite gift received as a child? My Dad was always so much fun at Christmas. Just when we thought the last gift had been opened, he would pull out something. One year he told us to look closely at the tree. Hidden amongst the branches was an envelope. Inside of the envelope were tickets to see Cats in NYC!!!! It was so exciting!

Hardest person to buy for? My Dad.

Easiest person to buy for? My Mom. I could totally go broke on her!

Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, I love it!!! It's the Willow Tree one.

Mail or e-mail Christmas cards? Oh, definitely MAIL! It is time consuming and it costs more, but it is the only way to go!!!! :)

Worst Christmas gift received? I honestly can't think of one???

Favorite Christmas movie? Hmmmmm, probably Christmas Vacation and It's a Wonderful Life.

When do you start shopping for Christmas? Sometime after Thanksgiving. Sometimes I'm still shopping on Christmas Eve.....definitely not the way to do it!

Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I don't think so?

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Hmmmm, I look forward to Monkey Bread for breakfast, everything at dinner, and Hammy Whammies for supper!

Lights on the tree? Colored AND white. It's perfection!!!

Favorite Christmas songs? Breath of Heaven and The Christmas Song (it starts out, "chestnuts roasting on an open fire").

Travel at Christmas or stay home? Growing up we were always at home and I loved it. When I got married we traveled every year! We took turns at each others families. I loved that too. This year we will be at our house and probably will be from now on. I'm looking forward to establishing our own traditions w/ our kids!

Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Am I a mother of three? Of course I know them!!! ;)

Angel or star on top of tree? The tree in our living room as a star, but the tree in the girls room has an angel.

Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? We open one on Christmas Eve and the rest on Christmas morning.

Most annoying thing about this time of year? Rude shoppers.

Favorite ornament theme or color? I haven't necessarily tried to stick w/ a theme, but it looks kind of like there's a barn red and cream color theme?

What do you want for Christmas this year? I want the kids to have a fun Christmas and for us to make lots of wonderful memories together!!!!

After all that complaining at the beginning of this post....Jack just walked in from his nap and was so excited to see the lights (the ones that actually lit!!!) and decorations!!!! That was really sweet and fun!
OH, and on another fun and sweet note, I had an appointment today and Billy and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time!!! I can't tell you how much I needed to hear that!
Happy decorating everyone! May all your lights work!!! :)

4 comments:

The Clevelands said...

We haven't started decorating yet :(. We were gone over Thanksgiving and with a new puppy, I'll have to figure out what he won't chew!

Hopefully we'll get a tree this weekend and decorate away. Hope to see you tomorrow at ELO!

April said...

Sorry the lights were such a source of frustration, but glad Jack's face lighting up brightened the day for you. :) Also glad that all went well with hearing the baby's heartbeat. That is so very special!

Amy Porter said...

I've been thinking about you and that baby...so I'm glad you added that heartbeat part at the end!! What a great sound! I enjoyed reading your Christmas info...hopefully the decorating gets better (with the lights!) I'm sure it will look wonderful!

MamasHood said...

I am with you, when it comes to Christmas you really can't have too many lights. That is great that you were able to hear the baby's heartbeat. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails