Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Garden Update

Things in the garden are going well. I'm definitely learning a lot for next year! Our tomatoes are LOADED! They are also really tall!? I have steaked them twice, but now they are too tall to even steak?! They are doubled over, but still producing. We had a really hard rain and I lost a few stalks, but other than that, they are doing great. Our cantaloupe is really struggling! I tried to make it climb to save room for my zucchini, but I guess it doesn't like that too much. I have a few that are growing on the ground that look good, so we'll see. My cucumbers are finally producing and taste so good! The strawberries have been taken over by the marigolds and not getting as much sun so they haven't given us many strawberries. However they have put of a ton of runners so I'm hopeful that those will begin to produce fruit b/f too long. The peppers are doing fine. They aren't just going crazy, but we have gotten a few. They are very sweet!
This is a picture of my squash and cucumber bed. Since the squash boars killed all of my squash I decided to plant our pumpkins in here. I planted them from seed on July 4th and they are growing like crazy. The kids are so excited to get pumpkins! It should be fun.
This is the "harvest" I brought in today. Not too shabby! ;) The kids are enjoying the garden so much. Even Jack gets into it! He spots a red tomato and points and gets so excited b/c he knows I'll let him pick it. We are just loving it. I really think everyone should give it a shot. I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy this has been. If I can do it, anyone can do it!!! :)

10 comments:

Silverthornes said...

I am seriously impressed, jealous and inspired all at the same time of you and your garden. Kudos

This Mama's Hood said...

Everything looks so good. Our strawberry plant has only produced three strawberries so far. No tomatos yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Aimee said...

We will be gardening next year. We are joining with my parents since my backyard is not the best place to garden.

Yours looks great!

The Clevelands said...

It was good visiting with you the other day at art. Your garden looks great - by next year, you'll be an expert and we'll all come to you for advice!

Laura said...

Yeah some fruit of your labor. Just think that if we lived a hundred years ago, we would starve.

Laura said...

Oh BTW....you always get so many comments on your blog!! I am soooo impressed!

Grams said...

Those tomatoes look awesome. Bring me one or two or ten?!!! See you really soon!

April said...

Your garden looks great!!! And, BTW, I enjoyed reading your previous post, too! If we were closer in proximity, we would certainly have to get together for a play date sometime! :)

Jessica said...

I love all the garden posts!! I told Aaron that I want him to build me some raised beds. He told me we had to get trees cut down first (our yard is VERY shaded). I guess I will settle for looking at your garden pictures in AWE. You're doing a great job!

The Clevelands said...

So, I just have to mention - do you remember the stray cucumber plant we talked about the other day? Well, it WAS a cucumber plant (there were 3-4 very small cucumbers growing). Notice the word WAS - my dear sweet husband thought it was a weed and yanked it out of the yard!! :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails