Friday, June 27, 2008

One down, 12 to go!!!! ;)

OK, we survived our first week of the TV "free" summer. I do have one confession. Yesterday we went to the Vanderlinden's pool and swam for a long time. I must be really out of shape b/c when we got home I was POOPED! Too tired to cook dinner or tend to children....so I put on a show. I felt guilty, but too tired to really care. So, there, I confess. I'm a cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater!!! :)
Other than that we have done really well. The kids have adjusted much better than I thought they would. We have spent a LOT of time in the pool (the blow up one), in tents (the ones made of sheets and kitchen chairs), playing, coloring and reading! It has been wonderful. They are not super independent kids in that they like to be w/ me. Which is good, but it can slow things down a bit. I am a big advocate for teaching your kids as you go, and boy am I livin' it now! :) I will say, however, that they do seem to be doing more things on their own to entertain themselves. Here are a couple of pictures I have taken this week to document our free time.
I came into the living room the other day and found Suzannah doing this?! Crazy kid! ;)
(Oh, notice our new door? We are loving it!!!!!)


As if it's not enough to help me cook and clean, Molly Beth spends most of her free time reading, cooking and cleaning at "her house." She is going to be a wonderful wife and mother someday.

And Jack, well, bless his heart....he has taken to reading Martha Stewart! Actually, the no TV thing has effected him the least. He just loves to read anything and I had left the magazine on the couch so I guess he started flipping through it. I thought it was funny though.

So, as you can see, we are surviving. Billy and I are enjoying our evenings much more w/o the television. There is actually time to sit and visit or read ourselves! OH, and I wanted to let everyone know, this "no TV" thing wasn't my idea! It was my compromise! Billy was wanting to get rid of the TV all together?!?!?! He obviously didn't have to stay at home all day w/ 3 kids! :) I guess I'm trying to see if I could do w/o the TV....maybe if we don't watch it as much we won't have to get rid of it.

K, and one last thing. Instead of doing a separate "Kids say the Darnedest" posts, I'll just document what Molly Beth said the other day here.

"But, Mommy, I'm full of cleaning my room!"

Interesting logic, huh? :) Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

6 comments:

Aimee said...

WTG Stacey! It's hard huh? I have been giving in way too much with the x-box because they are "tired" from camp. I need to get a bit more mean! They will be with my sister next week so maybe she can start that. ;-)

April said...

I enjoyed the update about the no tv. Glad it's going well!

Davies Family said...

Great job on the TV! BTW, I totally used to read upsidedown like that when I was kid...I wonder what would happen if I tried it now...:)

Grams said...

Way to go :) Sounds like you are doing a great job in you "no tv" challenge. Hope it's cooler in Tx than it is here but --- it probably isn't.

Love ot all

Donna said...

Stacey,

Doing great without the TV!!! Don't be too hard on yourself for "slipping" occassionally.....just think how much better you're doing than you were!!

Austin spent last week with David and I think he had a little culture shock. Nothing like country living with a school principal for the "BOSS". He survived and is even going back for next week-end with the entire family.

Jaime said...

I love the pictures of what your kids are up to without TV. I love the upside-down reading one the best! I used to do that, too! Cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails